Thursday, February 1, 2018

They Paved Paradise, Put Up a Parking Lot

 As you can see from the above photo, I went ahead and plasterized the parking lots for Superior Paper and the Bralick Building. Now, I am not a huge fan of paving wide areas like this because it's almost impossible to get everything level.

Rather than use Woodland Scenics' Paving Tape, I decided to use weather stripping of about the same thickness. This turned out to be a big mistake. I don't know if I got a bad batch or if it just sucks, but that stuff simply would not stick to foam base! The solution, or a least a solution, was driving small finish nails through the stuff to hold it in place.

With my enthusiasm already flagging, I started dolling out the patching plaster and smoothing it out. This part wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but wasn't without it's problems. As usual the surfaceis anthing but level and will require a lot of sanding and fine tuning to look right.
While I was at it, I sucked it up and installed the turnout for Pittsburgh Staging. Normally, this wouldn't be that bad but, it's in a really hard to access part of the layout. This also required adding a new feeder for the outside rail. I don't plan on wiring up the staging lead until the actual staging area actually built. I can't have any of my locomotives rolling off the end of the layout and bouncing down the stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment