Monday, September 6, 2021

Train show tips


 I've decided to go ahead and attend the train show in Simpsonville this coming Saturday. It'll be the first show I've been to in the better part of two years. I've going to train shows since I was kid and I've even helped run a bunch with old club up in New York. I that spirit, I've decided to give you some of my tips and advice.

1. Have budget and stick to it.

2. Have an idea of what you want. For example, I'll be on the hunt for buildings and maybe some freight cars. Knowing what you want makes easier to stay on budget and avoid buyer's remorse.

3. Don't buy the first thing that catches your eye. Browse the whole show first. Yeah, you risk missing on that first thing but, if you do buy it, you risk missing out out on something may have wanted more.

4. The best merchandise is there at the beginning of the day, the deals happen at the end. This is an obvious trade off. All the good stuff is there at the start, but so are all eager buyers. At the end of the day, dealers are going to be tired, and more willing to make a deal so they don't have to lug the stuff home.

5. Do your homework. Say a dealer has that new engine you've been looking for. If you've checked several retailers before the show, you'll know if you're getting a good deal or not. Or, you can always use your phone to check the price. Do that discreetly, however.

6. If you're buying a locomotive, try before you buy. Most trains shows have a test track. If the dealer doesn't want you testing it, that's a big red flag.

7. Get business cards, flyers, and receipts. Maybe the dealer has an online shop. Also if your engine is a lemon, you'll want some recourse.

8. This is my most important piece of advice, Don't be afraid to leave empty handed. I get it, you got up early, drove a good distance and paid the admission only to not find what you're looking for. It sucks. The worst thing to do is buy something just to buy something. It's a sure-fire recipe for buyer's remorse. Sometimes the best train show deal is leaving with your money in pocket.

1 comment:

  1. Hear! Hear! You follow my thoughts exactly! Good job jotting it down for others to consider!

    ReplyDelete