Sunday, September 19, 2021

Started Building the Embankment and Mounting the Backdrops



 The title pretty much sums it up. I started things off by taking a long strip of white Styrofoam roughly 3/4 of an inch thick and two inches wide and beveling it with my hit knife. Next, I painted the whole thing raw umber and glued it along the backside of the Altoona peninsula with white glue.

Once the paint and glue dried, I broke out the lichen and started gluing down. At first, I tried using Elmer's spray adhesive. Turns out, this stuff isn't meant for Styrofoam. Oops! So after melting some of the embankment, I switched the white glue. 

With the lichen glued down, I moved on the the backdrop. I tried gluing one section to the wall, and it looked all wrong! The white edges of the foam core board stuck out like a bunch of soar thumbs. The solution was to painstakingly paint the edges with black acrylic paint. Once mounted, they looked awesome.

I'm pretty stoked about how the backdrop is turning out. I have about one more section to mount and that project is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment