Monday, January 15, 2018

Finished Model Power's City Substation Kit, Again

I already built this kit, or more correctly, half of it, back in 2015 (link). I figured the other half would be a good fit for Johnstown. In order to differentiate it from its sibling in Gallitzin, I decided to paint this one. After Supperior Paper, this kit was blessedly simple and went together in about ten minutes.

For the base, I used Testor's Flat Light Aircraft Grey and for the transformer and other stuff, I use Tamiya Metallic Silver. After assembly, I hit the entire structure with a coat of weather wash and sprayed it with Dulcote. I opted not to bother with chalks this time around.

Since the kit doesn't include enough fencing to enclose both sub stations, I used some Gold Medal Models barbed wire fencing to do the job. Frankly it looks a lot better than the supplied fencing and the barbed wire should deter any N Scale copper thieves.


While I was at it, I also assembled a pair of Rix Early Highway Overpass kits. They carry Main Street in Gallitzin over the eastbound tracks just before the west portal of Portage Tunnel. Now Gallitzin's business district has a more direct rout to the great beyond past the edge of the layout.

The bridge ended up being longer than needed and hangs off the edge of the layout. Originally, I thought I would cut it down to end at the peir, which sits at the edge. But I think it actually looks better this way. I guess all I need now are some N Scale models of a red Ford Pinto and the Bluesmobile.


No comments:

Post a Comment