Friday, June 6, 2014

More Mountains

 I finally got back to building mountains last night after a prolonged break for building structures. I've started extending the ridge around Horseshoe Curve. For the previously-constructed mountains, I used Woodland Scenics plaster cloth. I've used this on my previous layouts with great success. However, there is a drawback, an 8-foot roll costs $11. It didn't take me long to realize that using it to build a mountainous layout such as this would send me to the poor house!

With the cost factor in mind, I set about finding a cheaper alternative. What I came up with is simple and cost effective. I mixed up a very viscous batch of plaster of Paris and dipped paper towels in it. I then laid the plaster-soaked towels over wadded up newspaper. This method is pretty old school, but it works and it costs a fraction of what plaster cloth costs.


While I was at it, I also added a Chooch Enterprises retaining wall, which I painted Tamiya Red Brown, to the area near Kittaning Point station.I also planted some more lichen on the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment