Thursday, November 17, 2022

Fixed My Dad's Lionel 2035


 With the scenery on the N Scale layout done, I found myself in a odd position. I had plenty enthusiasm but no projects to do! Well that's a new one on me. I decided to tackle a little side project, my father's old Lionel 2035 steamer. He's had it since he was kid and it's never really run right. Today, I did something about that.

The problem was the locomotive's E-Unit. For uninitiated, an E-Unit is and electro-mechanical polarity switch controlling the direction of the motor. They can be quite cantankerous when they want to be. I took the locomotive apart, which is easier said than done. This thing is a total Chinese puzzle box. The I cleaned all the contacts. 

While I was in there, I rewired the headlight. The original, 70-year-old wire's insulation was disintegrating. That was an easy fix. Now this 70-year-old classic is running better than it's run, at least in my lifetime.


No comments:

Post a Comment