Thursday, July 30, 2015

Major DCC Upgrade


Well, after getting bitten by the DCC bug a few months ago, I've finally gotten enough of my locomotive fleet upgraded to warrant upgrading my system. After much hemming and hawing, I opted for Digitrax Super Empire Builder starter set. The set features a five-amp command station/booster a throttle and a UP5 Jack for tethered operation. The system can also be upgraded to support wireless operation as well. The system supports 22 addresses and 22 throttles, more than I'll ever likely need on this layout.


In addition to the starter set, I also ordered up an additional pair of UP5 jacks and have begun the process of installing them around the layout. This is part of Digirtax' "Loconet" system. All of the various components are connected using Loconet cables, which are really nothing more than 6-wire telephone cables with six-pin plugs. They're quite easy and cheap to make.  

I've installed one UP5 Panel at the main control panel, one in Altoona and plan to install one in Johnstown. I plan to install at list one more at Gallitzin.

I've yet to actually run any trains as I'm just getting the feel of the new system. It seems to have a bit of a learning curve. But I'm sure I'll figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment