Friday, March 20, 2015

Work at the Altoona Shop Complex



It's been over a month since I posted any progress on the layout. Well, there simply hasn't been  much to post. I've been very busy with school for one thing. That, and spring has definitely sprung down here. The weather is getting warmer and the days are getting longer. As usual my enthusiasm for model railroading tends to wane a bit around this time of year.

Over the past few nights I have made some progress at the Altoona Shop complex. As you can see from the above photos, I put down some Woodland Scenics paving tape to mark out all the paved areas. Next I spread some black WS ballast as a ground cover and ballast for the yard tracks. I also drilled holes and installed lights in some of the buildings.

I decided I didn't like the backshop where it was behind the coaling tower and moved it to where you see in the photo. In it's old location, the tracks from the turntable would have to make crazy-sharp turns to reach the shop and it would have looked really stupid.

So anyway, this may be it for a while on the layout progress. I have ordered up the first batch of DCC decoders and plan on converted the Norfolk Southern fleet over the course of the next few months. So I'll be keeping you updated on that. And who knows? By mid summer when its 90 degrees outside with 110% humiditiy, spending time in an air-conditioned train room may start to seem appealing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment