Friday, July 26, 2013

Expanding the Pennsy Roster

I've been working on expanding my roster of Pennsylvania locomotives and rolling stock. Here's a rundown of what I've got so far:

Minitrix K4s Pacific:


I picked this one up of eBay about a year ago. It turned out to be quite a custom-painting project. You can read more about it here.

Minitrix B6 0-6-0:

Like it's bigger sister, this engine needed a good bit of work. I custom painted it, added power-pickups to the tender and a knuckle coupler.

Baldwin VO-1000 Switcher:

Well, my southern railfan friends are going to think I'm going straight to hell for this one. I had this Atlas Baldwin switcher sitting around. It was painted and lettered for the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad. Not being a fan of that particular line, I decided to bring it into the Pennsy stable.

I started by stripping off the factory paint with denatured alcohol. I then painted the entire body Floquil "Brunswick Green." I painted the railing Floquil "Bright Gold." I followed that up with some Microscale decals and some Woodland Scenics dry-transfer numbers.

Fairbanks Morse H-24-66 "Trainmaster":

I got a great deal on this one off eBay. It's an Atlas model.

Kato Broadway Limited Passenger Cars:


 The K4 needed something to pull so I picked up Kato's awesome 10-car Broadway Limited set.

N5 Cabin Car:



The Pennsy refereed to their cabooses as "Cabin Cars." This is a Bowser model I got off eBay.

There some more rolling stock projects coming down the pike. I have a pair of Atlas GP9s that I plan on buying PRR shells for. Also, a comapny called GHQ makes a kit to convert a Kato USRA Mikado into a PRR Class L1. I nearly purchased one of said converted Mikados of eBay tonight but was outbid. I also have another Cabin Car, an N5c, on the way along with a pair of box cars.


Unfortunately in N Scale, there just isn't a whole lot of steam available. In addition to the above-mentioned K4 and B6 the only other non-brass PRR steamer out there is the Black River Locomotive Works E6 Atlantic. These very rare and I have yet to find one on eBay or at a train show. Broadway Limited Imports announced a Clas M1 mountain back in 2005. As far as I know they're still taking pre-orders for it and have yet to announce a production run. Kind of frustrating if you're a steam fan but not a lot I can to about it.

Addendum:

The M1 is finally in the works and due for delivery in May of 2015.


No comments:

Post a Comment